I’m Ian Shirvell, a Chartered Architectural Technologist MCIAT. I am passionate about all aspects of architecture and construction and take enormous pride in my work. My career spans over 20 year. I come from a family of property developers initially as an apprenticeship served Carpenter which gives me practical thinking that I still use as a basis for my work today.
I studied Architectural Technology at Oxford and developed my core Architectural expertise during my time at Royal Institute British Architects RIBA registered practices Oxford Architects and Acanthus Clews Architects on a very broad range of projects across all sectors including Residential, Healthcare, Churches, and Education including new leading Independent School and renowned Oxford University buildings.
Interests – Architecture, historic buildings, traditional construction, design, business, entrepreneurship, property, home design, self-build, DIY, home improvements, green living, sustainability, furniture design, economics, finance, technology, antiques, art, photography, technology, music, education, children’s development.
- Concept Design Proposals – Preparation of simple sketch proposals at feasibility stage.
- Packages for Statutory Approvals – Preparation of drawing packages and supportive information for Planning, Building Regulations, and other statutory applications.
- Listed and Historic Buildings – Detailed information for statutory consent and construction of listed and historic buildings.
- Working Drawing Packages – Construction drawing packages with NBS specifications.
- Detailing – Traditional and contemporary detailing for construction and production of bespoke items such as joinery and stonework.
- Site Supervision – Supporting client through the build process resolving day to day on-site queries, providing technical support and problem solving as well as liaising with design team consultant, contractors and local authority officers.
- Measured Building Surveys – Undertaken many detailed measured surveys comprising visual, topographical and level information.
- Master planning – Preparation overview survey reports of complex housing and education sites, identifying key site features, building usage, efficiency and age supported by photographic information for design proposals.
Summary of Qualifications and Professional Status
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists Chartered Architectural Technologist ( MCIAT)
- HNC - Building Studies
- ONC - Building Studies
- NVQ 3 - Carpentry and Joinery
Godswell Park Care Home
Conversion and extension of a historic building to create a 45-bed care home with ancillary accommodation. Produced full detailed working drawing package for construction and detailed drawings for sub-contractors packages and bespoke joinery and provided technical support during construction.
Godswell Park website
Kings School, Bruton
New administration building on a historically sensitive school site. Produced full detailed working drawing package for construction and detailed drawings for sub-contractors packages of bespoke stonework. I provided technical support during construction. Contract Value £4m. King’s School Bruton website
Garden Building, Mansfield College, Oxford
New undergraduate building with seminar and conference rooms adjoining a Grade 2* listed building Produced full detailed working drawing package for construction and detailed drawings for sub-contractors packages and bespoke joinery, and provided technical support during construction. Contract Value £3m.
Mansfield College website
Express Park Housing, Rotherham
Residential development comprising in excess of 400 dwellings. Producing the drawing package and information necessary to assist the complex planning application. Contract Value £50m.
Express Park Housing website
Casterton School Kirkby Lonsdale
Masterplan research survey of existing school site identifying key site features, building usage, efficiency, age supplemented with photographic information. I worked closely alongside the senior project Architect to review the existing school site and prepare a proposed masterplan report identifying the long-term strategy for the school. This would involve identifying key inefficient poor site areas for divestment opportunities and present the school’s clear vision for the future.
Casterton School on Wikipedia
Casterton School merged with Sedbergh School in 2013 https://www.sedberghschool.org/